Episode 25: Building Better Worlds
"World building" doesn't really get Ben's motor running, but it's still something that, like it or not, most writers have to tackle in their stories.
Before that, we look at the very handy "22 rules for a good story" by former Pixar artist Emma Coats.
Jim and Ben then explore some suggestions for how worlds are created or evoked through various writing techniques. I assure you it's more fun than that last sentence would suggest.
- "22 Rules for a Good Story"
- io9: "The Difference between good world building and great world building"
- "How to write descriptive passages without boring the reader"
- "The rules for quick and dirty world building"
- Ben Alexander runs BlackRectangle.net and is starting his second season of NaNoWrimo. He can be followed on Twitter @mistahben and on the NaNo site at mistahben.
- Jim Markus, the creator of “Write with Lions”, runs MoreKnown.com and is starting his sixth season of NaNoWriMo. Jim is on Twitter @jimmarkus and on the NaNo site at jim-markus.
Both can also be heard on the Stuff Smart People Like Podcast.
Photo credit: MPClemens (Flickr)